Monday 19 September 2011

intermission

I began this...thingy - I'll try to choose a suitable word later - with a wide variety of ideas circulating. I thought about being serious. I thought about being philosophical. I thought about posting poems and sketches and scanned hand-written letters and making it all very analog and cozy, but here's the deal: my apartment has no internet. having moved here for four months, I have no scanner or printer. I have a camera which takes, at best, mediocre photographs, and that's before you factor in my below-average photographic talents.
So it was clearly the perfect time to start using the web as a regular creative outlet. It's certainly true that your limitations can help to funnel those normally scattered creative impulses, so i'm interested in seeing where this takes me. So far I've decided to just write down whatever comes to mind and post it, even if it's stupid. It's probably a good exercise in letting go of the desire to be clever and intelligent.
So ok - sometimes it works, sometimes not. A mix.
Writing is usually hard, only sometimes easy - and either way it usually needs a lot of editing. I'm saying this mostly for my own benefit, to remind myself - there will be times when the one door - writing - that allows the mist of ideas and emotions and remembrances and hopes and terrors to liquefy and pour out and, upon cooling, stare back at me as something solid, is not opening. At those times, there will be no posts, but I'll probably be having a decent lunch somewhere, so that's encouraging.

2 comments:

  1. THis is exactly what works. Honesty, openess, spontaneous posts, no expectations. It is what it is and that's what makes t good. It's of teh moment and real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kind of like mine--spelling mistakes and all. Though you seem to be quite good at weeding out the typos.

    ReplyDelete